Sunday, July 6, 2008

Oil boom

I recently posted on the oil boom in North Dakota. Now comes news of an increase in drilling in my home state of Indiana.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a story repeating itself all over the country. And who can blame anyone hoping to strike it rich in their backyard?

I have an aunt who lives in southern Illinois in an area where the landscape is dotted with tiny wells pumping in farm fields and backyards. I haven't talked to her recently, but I wonder how that well is doing.

What I should do is tell my brothers and sisters in Whiting, Ind., to drill in their backyard. The large refinery that's there should have spilled enough oil in its 100-plus years to have small pockets deposited throughout the city. That's a good way to recycle. Right?

No comments:

Custom Search

Subscribe in a reader