Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Black gold, North Dakota tea

Let the new oil rush begin. Landowners in North Dakota are becoming millionaires simply for owning land.

The U.S. Geological Survey discovered a large oil deposit under North Dakota. As a result, million-dollar homes are sprouting up in a state where the per capita income is around $36,000.

Other than cursing my bad luck of not being born in North Dakota (never thought I'd say that), I think this is great. Instead of making multi-billionaires out of foreign sheiks, we've got some regular John and Jane Q. Public folks enjoying the good life.

Unfortunately for me, the only thing my kids have discovered in the backyard are bugs, a few marbles and some neat looking rocks. Maybe I need to tell them to dig deeper...

No comments:

Custom Search

Subscribe in a reader